Sandringham Medical Centre
Home / About the Practice / About The Practice

About The Practice

the practice

Sandringham Medical Centre - A History of the Practice

The practice originated at number 5 Aigburth Road and was situated on the corner of Sandringham Drive and Aigburth Road, Liverpool 17.

It was started by Dr F Spence prior to the National Health Service being formed on 5th July 1948. He sold it to Dr F Barry in 1946 who ran it with the help of his daughter F Leyland.

In 1952 Dr Raymond Hoskinson joined him and worked with him until Dr F Barry retired through ill-health in 1961. Dr Hoskinson continued to run it as a single handed practice until his retirement in 1985.

Dr Koratty Swaroopam Mohanan took over the practice in November 1985. Practice was relocated to the present purpose built premises, which stands on the former site of the Toxteth Congregation Church.

Currently we have 2 GP partners. Dr Varma is the senior partner and Dr Mohanan is a partner. We also have 3 salaried GP's; Dr Kelly, Dr Roberts and Dr Owen.

We became a Training Practice for GP's in 1995 and for Practice Nurses in 1999 and for First Contact Nurses in 2004.

There is a Patient Participation Group in operation since 1997 to enable patients' involvement in decision-making.